Useless topic: Most strokes kanji
  • I was going over the jisho website looking for the kanji with the highest number of strokes out of curiosity and it appears we have a winner in 䯂 with 34. Is anyone aware of a higher strokes number kanji?
    I find it amusing that the meaning of this kanji can be 'very many' too.

Otherwise it may be fun to post the longest word in your native language see who has the longest... word :)
    In French it would be 'anticonstitutionnellement' with 25 if you do not include such words as chemical compound or medicine word.
  • Yeah searching a little bit more, I found an article on it. Eventually the article said Taito wasn't really the Kanji with the highest number of strokes since it was only 2 high stroke number kanji repeated 3 times each.
    The article concluded a 44 strokes kanji read 'sei' was really the only unique highest strokes number kanji. Apparently it can be found in the daikanwajiten and has the same meaning as 性.
  • 鬱, at 29, is probably the highest stroke number "common" kanji (it has six more strokes than anything else on the joyo list, to which it was added at the recent updates).
  • @Fred1985

"Eventually the article said Taito wasn't really the Kanji with the highest number of strokes since it was only 2 high stroke number kanji repeated 3 times each."

Why does that mean it doesn't count? There are tonnes of characters like that. 森, 姦, 轟, 蟲, 驫, 品, and 晶 to name just a few.
  • Well I guess it means what it means! Don't get mad at me, I didn't write the article lol.

The point was that kanji only puts together the same kanji repeated over and over again like just squizzing everything you can in a small box. While the 44 stokes sei kanji was made of different keys which didn't make it look like 'Hey!Look at that, I made the biggest kanji ever!' '-But you only put the same kanji several times...' '-So what? Biggest Kanji ever!!!'
    If you take the 44 strokes sei kanji and somehow manage to put it in 3 times you'd get a 132 strokes kanji!

Eventually it doesn't make much difference, it won't change the face of Japan whether you think taito is the highest strokes number kanji or not. 84 is still superior to 44 lol.
  • This is about
    Size ≠ Complexity
    The latter is what's really impressing, I think.
  • I agree to some extent with you blutorange. On one hand repeating the same kanji in one bigger makes it look like a size contest, on the other hand I guess we can say putting 84 strokes in one kanji is quite a complex feat lol.

After looking for a little more information about Taito it appears some scholars are not convinced it's an actual kanji. Apparently it was found on a business card a few decades ago, used in a name but currently nobody has it in its name. Pretty mysterious kanji in deed, is it an actual archaic kanji become obsolete or is it nothing more than a figure of style used by some random business man... The meaning is pretty close to the kanji 龖 which is the kanji for dragon repeated twice.
    The hanzi with 3 dragon symbols also exists in Chinese, apparently there's a variation with 4 dragon symbols but it isn't found in all dictionnaries, maybe it's the inspiration for the Taito Kanji.

In the end, it might a good conversation starter to show off in a high society diner in Japan lol.
  • Guess what,
    I clean toilet bowl and toilet floor with Japanese people's faces!
    Sincet toilet papers are so expensive nowadays, I use Japanese people's faces to clean restroom.
    After cleaning, I flush the crap out of them in the toilet bowl.
  • Interesting topic, thanks Fred1985. By the way, thank you also for using "repeated twice" correctly (i.e. that the item appears three times in total) - too many people say repeated twice when they really mean repeated once :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion