Japanese to English translation help?
  • Hi. I'm trying to read a book with my limited knowledge and making very slow progress, but progress none the less. Anyway I came upon this little nugget: 言ぇばいいのに
    I guess it's the 言ぇば part that confuses me? Or maybe I'm just missing something obvious? I'm a beginner so that very well may be the case. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • You shouldn't really pay attention to that. It's just stylistic phenomenon. You may also come across something like 良い助言ゎありますか。 instead of 良い助言はありますか。

It does not influence the meaning whatsoever.
  • 言ぇば is the -えば conditional form of 言う which translates in 'if X does -' so I guess it'd be something like 'although X says it's good' but I'd wait for someone with better skills than I to give you a translation you could trust for sure. Hope this helps.
  • Yes, when it's ~ば form that confuses you, it is simple conditional. When it's ぇ, then it is what I said : )
  • 言えばいいのに is something like a "counterfactual".

~ばいいのに = "It would be good if..." (but actually it's not like that).

言えばいいのに (even though) (somebody) should say so... (they don't).

気に入らないことがあるならハッキリ言えばいいのに...
    = even though he should just say it clearly if there's something he doesn't like.
    (describing somebody who complains under his breath or acts unsatisfied with a situation without being specific about what the problem is).
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but would it be accurate to translate the ーえばいいのに ending as something like "could just...?"

For example, I might translate the example sentence jenlit gave as: "If there's something he doesn't like, he could just say so. "

Doesn't it imply some measure of annoyance or irritation on the part of the speaker?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion