The particles Niha には together-what does it mean?
  • Hello everyone ^_^ Can someone explain why に and は are used together? I think I've only seen one or two examples in one of my textbooks and I never used them like that in a sentence.
    I'm asking because it was really annoying while translating something and even though I'm not fluent yet I still want to give it my best.
    If it helps I had this sentence from a manga( X is a character's name. You can use any name)

Xであるには不純 My basic interpretation was: There is an impurity inside X...
    I know it's hard to translate because there isn't enough context but any interpretation is fine :)

Thanks in advance :)
  • 「には」functions similarily to は, it is sometimes translated as "(and) as for".

日本にはたくさんの外国人がある。As for Japan, there are lots of foreigners.
  • Thank you for the answer :) Yeah I remember an example like that but I was really wondering if there is another meaning to it.
  • Actually, it does have another meaning:

Xであるには・・
    could mean something like:
    "To be(come) ..."

an example which I took from the net (http://www.oyanokoto.net/?p=1962):
    年をとっても「きこえる」であるには
    ->
    年をとっても meaning "despite growing old"
    「きこえる」meaning "hearing" (not as verb)
    であるには meaning "to become"
    all together:
    "(how) To keep your hearing while growing old..."

So it can mean 'how to...' or 'to...'

another example (again from internet) of this usage of 「には」 is :

「カフェイン抜き」を注文するにはどうしたらいい?
    which means:
    「カフェイン抜き」 -> caffeïne-free
    を注文する -> to order
    にはどうしたらいい? -> what to do?
    in full:
    "How do I order a cafeïne free?"

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
  • But you just agreed on what I said, I just provided literal translation ...
  • Actually, には has a somewhat different function from just に and は in Yuna's sentence.

The には from your example
    日本にはたくさんの外国人がある (actually it should be いる, not ある, but hell)
    does do what you say it does (' as for... " ) but I think that's dissimilar to the には in " であるには、不純".
    Honestly, though, we can't really know for sure without more context from Yuna.

In your example, the には notes the location and subject ("as for (in) Japan,..."),
    however, in my example sentences には doesn't note location and subject, but something else.

Actually, to make things understandable, you could see the には in Yuna's sentence (same goes for my examples) as short for:
    "であるためには"
    i.e.:
    instead of: 注文するためにはどうしたらいい
    you could lose the ため and say: 注文するにはどうしたらいい

Going by your explanation, Yuna's sentence "Bであるには、不純" would translate as:
    "as for B, impure/dishonest"

In what I suggest is the case, it would be something like:
    "(it's / he/she is) not pure/honest enough to be B".

(naturally, with more context a more natural translation is possible)
  • Oh, thank you for pointing my mistake. 日本にはたくさんの公園がある was the first option I wanted to present には with but changed 公園 to 外国人 without changing ある to いる.

Actually, BであるにはX could be also translated as: As for B (as it is; referring to the matter of being, character), it is X. It also goes with what you said previously, when you put であるには as "to be(come)". Contextually, it's the same. It just lacks detailed pragmatics.
  • ありがとうみんな!
    I really appreciate the help :) I know it must have been a little difficult without knowing the context. I work really hard to translate manga because I improve a lot that way, even though I find it difficult because it uses many short forms and I only know some of them when we learned the verb conjugation.( we are taught the standard polite level of speaking, which involves longer forms and that's why I'm having problems with some structures)
    Thanks again for the examples :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion