Need help translating I
  • Hey guys, how are you?

I'm very sorry, for I don't mean to bother. I need some help with a japanese text I need to decode and was wondering if you could help me out as I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to japanese. I already tried using an online translator but, you know how awful they're, haha. Thus, I thought the best option would be to contact a native speaker.

This is pretty much it:

フランシスカ.ケールズ (Francisca Keels)様

はじめまして、DIGITALDREAMDESIGNのイトウと申します。
    大変ご丁寧な日本語でメールをいただきましてありがとうございます。

さて、当フォントを商用でご使用したいとのことですが、用途や規模により
    使用料金が発生します。
    しかしながら、誠に申し訳ございませんが、送金が困難なため、今のところ
    商用使用は日本国内のみとさせていただいております。
    ご希望に添えなくて申し訳ございません。

ちなみに、スポーツブランドとはどんな商品を販売するのでしょうか?
    商品によっては、ロゴを使ったその商品を送っていただくことで、使用料金の
    代わりとすることも検討させて頂きます。

よろしくお願いいたします。

Well, that's definitely it so far. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this,

Have a nice day!
  • I am not a native speaker but I will do what I can. For reference, Japanese is highly dependent on the context of the situation; the background story. Reading something "cold" ie with no explanatory background of why or where it comes from, is difficult and can cause translations to have errors.

Here I have given a rough line-by-line translation and at the bottom summarized what I believe the contents to be in English. My own thoughts on the language being used are in parentheses. You may wish to just skip to the bottom.

はじめまして、DIGITALDREAMDESIGNのイトウと申します。
    hajimemashite, DIGITALDREAMDESIGN no 'itou' to moushimasu.
    Nice to meet you, I am called "Itou" of DIGITALDREAMDESIGN.

大変ご丁寧な日本語でメールをいただきましてありがとうございます。
    taihen go teinei na nihongo de meiru wo itadakimashite arigatougozaimasu.
    For the extremely polite Japanese-language e-mail received, thank you very much.

さて、当フォントを商用でご使用したいとのことですが、用途や規模により 使用料金が発生します。
    sate, tou 'fonto' wo shouyou de go-shiyou shitai to no koto desu ga, youto ya kiba ni yori, shiyou ryoukin ga hassei shimasu.
    Now then, for the certain Font for business that is wanted to be used, considering practicality and the scale of this, a usage fee would have to be introduced.

しかしながら、誠に申し訳ございませんが、送金が困難なため、今のところ
    商用使用は日本国内のみとさせていただいております。
    shikashi-nagara, makoto ni moushiwake gozaimasenga, soukin ga konnan na tame, ima no tokoro shouyou shiyou wa nihon-kokunai no mitosasete itadaiteorimasu.
    However, in truth I am sorry to say but, a remittance would be difficult, so right now business usage has been approved for intra-Japan only.

ご希望に添えなくて申し訳ございません。
    gokibou ni souenakute moushiwakegozaimasen.
    For being unable to meet (your) expectations, I am extremely sorry.

ちなみに、スポーツブランドとはどんな商品を販売するのでしょうか?
    chinamini, supootsuburando to ha donna shouhin wo hanbai suru no deshou ka?
    By the way, for sports brands, what kind of goods would you like to deal in I wonder?

商品によっては、ロゴを使ったその商品を送っていただくことで、使用料金の
    代わりとすることも検討させて頂きます。
    shouhin ni yotte wa, rogo wo tsukatta sono shouhin wo okutte itadakukotode, shiyou ryoukin no kawari to suru koto mo kentou sasete itadakimasu.
    Depending on the items/goods, as for goods sent that use the logo, something in place of a usage fee is being considered.

よろしくお願いいたします。
    Yoroshiku onegai itashimasu.
    With regards/ looking forward to dealing with you again.

I take it this is a rejection letter to your request to purchase rights to use one of DIGITALDREAMDESIGN's font styles.

SUMMARY:
    He says his name is "Itou" and thanks you for the extremely polite Japanese-language email they received. Itou says that for the scale of what is wanted, the company would have to require a "usage fee."

But unfortunately, due to difficulties with overseas payments and etc., at this time he is not authorized by his superiors to allow that font to be sold/rented outside of Japan (or at least not to companies outside of Japan). Itou is extremely sorry to not be able to meet your expectations in this matter.

Then the topic appears to shift slightly, and he asks you what kinds of "sports brand" goods you will actually be selling/dealing with. (The question seems somewhat genuine, like he actually would like to hear an answer from you and is not just making small talk.)

Then the last part is a bit fuzzy for me because I don't know the whole story, but it seems like depending on what the goods actually are, those with prominent logos (name brand goods?) they might consider accepting them in place of a usage fee (for the font instead of money?) Possibly you could send them stuff, and that could be instead of overseas monetary transactions. (Personally that sounds very suspicious, overseas monetary transactions are generally not hard at all unless DDD is like a one-man enterprise with no infrastructure -- things just would cost more due to any moneychanging services. I am not a business expert though. The language used indicates he is in no way making a promise or guarantee of any kind here, just that it is being "considered" an option, and so might be ultimately rejected.)

Then generally he sends his best wishes in a polite sort of way.
  • If you could elaborate on DDD and what they do, and what you do and what you were intending to get from them, it could help solidify some of the meaning of the email they sent back.
  • Thanks a lot Kouk, that was beyond helpful. That's alright, don't worry. Your reply is just what I needed. The thing is I sent this company an email asking them if I could use one of their fonts (it's a designing co.) for a small project ("business" sounds better though) of mine

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion