Help for this English-Japanese small sentence
  • Hi everybody!

My friend asked me to translate this sentence:

"I live as I believe to become what I want (to be)"

I don't know if the meaning of this sentence is clear but I think my friend means something like:

"I live the way I want to become who I wish to be" or "I live as I like to become who I want (to be)."

Could you give me a hand please?

PS Feel free to ask me anything!
  • There's always multiple ways to translate something. It depends how you want the end product to read, or what you want it to be used for.

• Hi Kouk, I understand. Is it hard to translate that sentence then, right?
  • I don't know about "hard" as in impossible, but I'm finding it very awkward. It is sort of poetry.

Naritai no nareru tame ni, shinjiru koto de ikimasu.
    "The thing I want to be, in order to become it, I live by what I believe.

Shinjiru you ni ikite -- naritai no ni naremasu.
    Living like the way I believe -- to be able to become the thing I want.

Perhaps others would be better able to translate such a line.

Is this meant as an explanation to someone? Is it just poetry? Is it a line said by a character in a story to the "reader"? That context would suggest different ways to frame the sentence.
  • Kouk, thank you very much for your help.

Yes, it is a a bit strange this sentence, you're right and I told him but I think it is a sentence my friend wants to write somewhere, a sentence very important for him.

I think both the sentences you translate are ok but instead of the infinitive he prefers the form I wrote.
    I have just started to learn some Kanji but at the moment I don't know anything about Japanese grammar :(
  • For the sentence:
    Shinjiru you ni ikite -- naritai no ni naremasu.
    Living like the way I believe -- to be able to become the thing I want.

This translation with Kanji:

な 信
    り じ
    た る
    い 様
    の に
    に 生
    慣 き
    れ て

す

do you think is it right?
  • I don't believe you would normally use "様" for youni, but stick with kana.

And for naremasu, probably the kanji for "成る" -- I was not intending to use "nareru" which is "to get used to something," but rather "naru" in the verb form of *possibility of becoming.*

Or leave "naremasu" as kana as well.
  • 僕は誰かに成りたいのを信じることで生き続ける。
  • thank you very much guys!
  • Uhm, but about my translation, do you think it is possible to understand what I meant? or is it really different?
  • I thought you just wrote what I said vertically? Maybe put a period after each thought.

The naremasu you wrote is wrong though, it has to be the other kanji. Different word. You could *get away with* leaving the "you" kanji I suppose.
  • Thank you very much for all the explanations, you have been very helpful! Have a great day!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion