Trouble with a Pun?
  • I'm having trouble with を抜かれた and I was wondering if it was a pun.

Basically I'm getting no results in the Dictionary, just related words with 抜

Google gets 'pulled out', and Disconnected/Remove/Unplug from just を抜か and を抜

And Babel-fish gets me 'could make a foolish mistake'

Both meanings are relevant, yet distinct. So I was thinking it is a pun (has to separate meanings) or I'm missing something at it really means foolishly removed

The full title is 'タマを抜かれた男の子!?', and its a short story about a young grade school boy who pees on a Kapa and the Kapa takes his 'family jewels' making him a girl. So both 'could make a foolish mistake', and 'Disconnected/Remove/Unplug' seem to apply.
  • 抜かれた is from the verb 抜く (if you just searched 抜かれた it should un-conjugate for you). The verb is in passive-past form (e.g. the boy had the action done to him, as opposed to doing it himself).

を is a particle. If you didn't recognise that タマを抜かれた = nounをverb I suggest you run through some basic grammar somewhere like Tae Kim's site before attempting to translate, it will make parsing sentences much easier for you. Also, don't use automatic translators, half the time they just produce nonsense, and it's even worse if you only give it parts of things. "を抜" would never exist by itself in Japanese, so you can't expect to get any sensible translation for it.

If there is a pun there, it's probably something around the multiple meanings of タマ (could also mean 魂).

• I do know that を is a particle, but I included it as my results differed with and without it, ( I guess buy forcing a verb?) in the autoranslators.

Jisho, did give me 抜く, Which I already had found with word staring with 抜 that had similar 'removal' like meanings. While 抜か has 'mistake' like meanings. This became my main source of confusion, as both seemed to be relevant.

• Jenlit, I think your right, that its more the slang of 抜く , while the Imagery is rather tame, the language when I got to page 4 gets `colorful`.
  • Translation sites are simply computer programs. They're not magic. They're only as good as what you put in - if you put in something that isn't a proper sentence, like "を抜か", you can't expect to get anything sensible out. GIGO is the term used in computing circles a lot - garbage in, garbage out.

Even when they get correct information in, automatic translators often give wrong answers, just because of the limitations of the technology. This is particularly true with languages which are far apart (e.g. English and French might get better results than English and Japanaese). Japanese is a very context dependent language so it's particularly difficult.

Basically, do not use autotranslators. The fact that putting を into one changes the output has nothing to do with Japanese grammar or what the best translation is. Similarly, 抜か is not a word. There is a verb 抜かる meaning "make a mistake", which is probably where the machine got it from, but that is not the word being used here, and regardless, the word in the sentence is 抜かれた. Not anything else.

抜かれた is a conjugation of the verb 抜く, so the base meaning comes from 抜く. It doesn't matter what other words have the kanji 抜 in. A conjugation is when a verb changes (in a set way) to show things like tense (e.g. past, present, future), or other features. In Japanese you can also use conjugations for things like expressing ability do to something (instead of using "can" like we do in English).

Try http://www.guidetojapanese.org/ or get a beginner's textbook. If you keep using automatic translators to try and understand/learn Japanese, you are wasting your time.
  • タマを抜かれた男の子 means "The boy who had his balls taken". There's no pun or slang or anything non-standard about this sentence.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion