Kanji->Romaji Transliteration
  • I'm trying to transliterate two "Gintama" episode titles online from kanji to romaji "お年玉は×ネタとの相性がバツグン" and I've got - "otoshidama wa kakeru neta to no aishou ga batsugun", and second "コタツで寝るときは○玉熟しないよう気をつけろ" - "kotatsu de neru toki wa tama juku shi nai you ki o tsukero" I think they are incorrect. Could anyone tell me how they should be transliterated correctly. Thanks.
  • Word boundaries are debatable in romanization. Here is a more linguistically correct interpretation.

Otoshidama-wa X neta to no aishou ga batsugun
    It is fine to separate wa as it is a separate part of speech. However, particles are dependent words. Many prefer using hyphens to attach dependent elements to what they modify. Typically, there is no need for endings like auxiliary verbs such as -nai to use a hyphen.

Kotatsu de neru toki wa O tama juku shinai you ki wo tsukero.

Notes: X and 〇 are ad hoc symbols in these cases and need not to be romanized into anything particular. "kakeru" would not make sense as this is used for multiplication.
    Be sure you to remember that ~you is pronounced as a long o. Other than that, it is fine to romanize it as such. Many places prefer this because it reminds the student how it written in Kana. Other places use macrons and even h to write long vowels in Japanese.

I teach my students to write を as wo for several reasons.

1. It is the historical pronunciation of the character. It became "o" inside words as early as the Middle Heian Period when the wa-gyou sounds lost the initial "w" in these locations as well. Script reform makes these words hard to pinpoint.
    2. Aside from this, there are still regions of Japan where the "w" an be heard. Also, the traditional pronunciation distinction between it and お is maintained in song.
    3. Also, from a phonetic standpoint, when pairing the qualities of the Japanese w and o, it is easily arguable that there is a difference between the two for many speakers. It's just gotten to the point that most Japanese people can't tell the difference between the two phonemes.

Anyways, it is completely fine to write it as "o" because it is the most widely used pronunciation. You're transliteration was good. You shouldn't be doubting yourself like that.

そこで、がんばってください。
  • Thanks a lot for your explanation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion