Connecting sentence with "but"
  • So, im supposed to translate this to japanese.. but i dont even know where to begin... im reeeeally stuck...

"Noriko is skinny, but Yasuo is overweight."
    i know skinny is やせている and overweight 太っている.
    I've learnt the te-form to connect sentence which means "and", but how do i connect this "but"?
  • Your teacher didn't explain this before asking you for homework?
    (I presume this is the source since the example sentence is so awkward I can't imagine why anybody would want it translated).

が or けど are common connectors for "but".
    e.g. 出来るけどしたくない
    = I can do it, but I don't want to.
  • well, no. Im learning by myself :P
    and my genki book didnt say. (or i didnt notice it... or i dont know..)

I know about けど or が, cus ive read it in tae kim's guide and i pretty much get it.
    But i still dont know how to apply it to that やせている.

Im gonna take a shot here, so please correct it.
    "のりこさんはやせているけど、やすおさんはふとっている。"

and yes it is the source, its just an excercise question.
  • That's correct. In the case of this sentence, you could also just switch が with けど and they'd be the same.
  • ahh.. thank you so much for the help.
    I really really appreciate it.
  • I wouldn't say that's really correct, 痩せる means to get skinny or to lose weight, conversely 太っている means to get fat, to say what you want to say I would use 細い and 太いas adjactives, thus:
    のりこは細いんですがやすおは太い
    or, using けど:
    のりこは細い、けどやすおの方は太い

I don't really picture anybody really saying it like that though, Japanese people would undoubtedly add little particles and formations to make the affirmation of yasuo's obesity as polite as possible. Hope that helps
  • Both 太る and やせる describe a transition, but appended with -ている they describe ongoing states. Just like how 結婚する means "to get married" but 結婚している means "to be married," these verbs can also express "to be skinny" and "to be fat."
  • Could anyone help me in clearing it up?
    Thanks in advance.

Be pleased

question of ‘stare’: How to connect it with a sentence

how can I make myself connect the note of 'stare' with this sentence?
    the note of 'stare' is 'to be very plain to see'

In this entry a sentinel provided with:

"The lies in the report were so obvious; they stared out at us from every paragraph." (to me, it means they make so many stares at one; but it puzzled me that I cannot connect 'so many stares' with 'to be very plain to see'.)
  • Is this a Japanese question? Or are you trying to figure out the meaning of this in English?
  • "Noriko is skinny, but Yasuo is overweight."
    i know skinny is やせている and overweight 太っている.
    I've learnt the te-form to connect sentence which means "and", but how do i connect this "but"?

のりこはやせているが、やすおは太っている。
    のりこはやせちるけど、やすおは太っている。

this is it.
    the sentence is too simple to find any other variations.
    (except the way how you explain it in twisted ways)

And I think Japanese people are quite simple in this way, not much care about "how it will be polite to say about weight in other ways".
    Because overweight is overweight, skinny is skinny.
    Usually they say it simply without any distortions.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion