Are there any other meanings for 食べる other than "eat"?
  • Hi. I'm trying to translate a sentence from a short story. The problem is that it uses the verb taberu but it doesn't make any sense.

Previously in the story, this fairy asked this guy to find a boat. Now, the guy is recalling a boat that he may have come across in the past. The guy says "[insert fairy name]ni tabesasetaidesu."

This of course means "I want to make the [insert fairy name] eat," but in this case it doesn't make any sense. Therefore, I'm thinking that taberu in this case means something like entrust or rely on. I don't know. Someone more familiar please help. Thank you
  • Can you link to the context?

食べる is sometimes used to mean "live on", e.g. when talking about a salary etc. (similar to the use of things like "put food on the table"/"bring home the bacon" in English)

Useful example sentences from プログレッシブ和英中辞典 :
    こんなに薄給では食べていけない
    One can hardly live on such a wretched salary.
    彼は彼女に食べさせてもらっている
    He's living off her./She's supporting him.
  • This is the entire sentence:
    自分はさっき、小さなカヌーを岸にのりすてて、そいつをピアリピアリに食べさせたくて、陸へあがったんだっけ。。。そこまで思いだすと、小沢さんは、今度は、少しもためらわずに、砂の上をひたひたと走りだしました.

PiariPiari = fairy
    Ozawa = main character

I believe that sentence is referring back to this sentence where PiariPiari tells Ozawa to return to the boat and light the candle:

「ここよ。あたしは、このろうそくの中にいるわ。早く舟にもどりなさい。舟の中で、ろうそくに火をともしてちょうだい。早く、早く」
  • When I google it I only find this slightly different version:

自分はさっき、小さなカーヌを岸にのりすてて、陸に上がったところだったんだ。カーヌの中には、取ったばかりの魚が一匹かくしてあって、そいつをピアリピアリに食べさせたくて、陸へあがったんだっけ

This makes much more sense, can you check your version?
  • lol...I just realized that I skipped a couple sentences, and one in particular makes this make sense. Thank you so much for pointing that out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion