I do not know
  • So I'm confused, is it shirimasen (知りません) or shitteimasen (知っていません)?
    Which one is the correct one and why?

Oh and I just started learning so please bear with me.
    Thanks in advance.
  • "Shirimasen" is the usual form.

It's better to say "wakarimasen" since "shirimasen" can be rude.

Please see http://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/shiru-wakaru.html (this is a page by me).
  • so regarding my first question, both shirimasen and shitteimasen is correct? just that it's better to say wakarimasen?

what if someone asks whether i know something or someone or not, say if it goes something like this "blah blah blah (insert something/someone here) shitteimasuka?" what do i answer then, shitteimasen or shirimasen?
    of course, if i do not want to be rude i'll use wakarimasen.

sorry im just confused with the shirimasen or shitteimasen thingy...
  • You don't say 知っていません. It's 知りません.

"It's better to say "wakarimasen" since "shirimasen" can be rude."

It depends on the context. They are different words and mean different things.
  • yes i sort of understand the difference between those two just not a hundred percent clear, i suppose with more exposure and experience i will get it down.

But thats why i wasnt asking about "wakarimasen/shirimasen" itself, but whether the negative form of 知っています is shirimasen or shitteimasen and why.
  • shitte imasen is present progressive negative
    shirimasen is present indictive negative
    I have no idea what the hell those mean, just that what you say is correct

punch "shiru" into there
    http://www.japaneseverbconjugator.com/
  • erm... what did i say that you were reffering to is cor
  • erm... what did i say that you were reffering to is correct?
    sorry, kinda lost there..

but, yeah i dont really understand what those mean aside from the obvious ones like present progressive is in english "to be verb+ing.."
    however the ~ている form has more meaning/usage than "to be verb+ing"..

okay, so back on topic.
    it's shirimasen not shitteimasen. Can i ask why, or will i learn this later on?
    because, lets say for example, 私はお金をたくさん持っています the negative form is 持っていません right? so unless im wrong, why is it not shitteimasen?
  • erm... what did i say that you were reffering to is correct?
    sorry, kinda lost there..

but, yeah i dont really understand what those mean aside from the obvious ones like present progressive is in english "to be verb+ing.."
    however the ~ている form has more meaning/usage than "to be verb+ing"..

okay, so back on topic.
    because, lets say for example, 私はお金をたくさん持っています the negative form is 持っていません right? so unless im wrong, why is it not shitteimasen?

EDIT:
    why did it double post? i didnt even do anything, and clicked the "save comment" once. Actually... it triple posted...
  • kannonfodder says:

The "shiru" verb is an action verb which means "the action of learning". So "shitte imasu" means "I learnt and I still know". "Shirimasen" means "I still have not done the action of learning". In contrast, "motsu" is a state verb which means "the state of holding". So "motte imasu" means "I am in the state of holding" and "motte imasen" means "I am in the state of not holding".

The nuance of this is hard to explain so please take the above as an attempt to do so rather than a full explanation.
  • hmm... kinda get it.. just.. yeah...
    thanks for going through the trouble of explaining, because i was wondering why isnt it the same.

and its shirimasen, not shitteimasen right?

thanks for the help.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion